WHO ARE THE PREFECTS RESPONSIBLE TO? Dr Alaa
WHO ARE THE PREFECTS?
Year 11 – Ibitisam Abdiaziz & Fatima Salarzi
Year 10 – Jhanat Riaz & Safiyyah Hussain
Year 9 – Aimel Amad & Afifa Irshad
Year 8 – Jawairia Umer & Aishah Abid
Year 7 – Raisah Khan & Doha Riaz
HOW ARE PREFECTS CHOSEN?
Prefects are chosen based on consistently good behaviour and mature attitude in school. Prospective candidates are required to outline how they are suitable for the position; however the final decision will be made by teaching staff unanimously.
Prefects are generally chosen in the last term for the new academic year, based on their character and conduct during the year.
WHAT DO PREFECTS DO?
Prefects will be reliable, trustworthy and respected individuals, who are the figurehead of the school and the main representatives for the students at BIGS.
It is important that prefects are friendly, approachable and good role models for all other students, as it will be their responsibility to show a caring and loving attitude to all year groups. However, they will also need to be authoritative, as it will be their responsibility to uphold and promote the school’s policies, rules and ethos at all times.
Prefect duties will include:
- Assisting the admin with any tasks e.g. handing letters out
- Assisting staff with tasks, such as putting up displays
- Responsible for assisting during events e.g. fun days, bake sales etc
- Monitor specific areas during break and lunch (A rota can be arranged) – Key areas include front door & staircases, toilet areas, upstairs corridor outside ICT/science rooms, patrol outside and ensure litter is collected and disposed of properly during break and lunch
- Report any students who fail to abide by school rules or fail to listen to instructions
NEGATIVE ATTITUDE TOWARDS PREFECTS WILL BE DEALT WITH SEVERELY, AS THE ROLE OF PREFECT IS VERY IMPORTANT AND THEY MUST NOT FEEL INTIMIDATED IN ANY WAY.
PREFECTS MUST REPORT IMMEDIATELY IF THEY FACE ANY CRITICISM OR BULLYING. Meetings should be held at least once a month with Miss Samiya (may be necessary to hold them more often at the start, until all students are familiar with their duties). Prefects must keep a record of their meeting minutes.